For a long time, I am looking for a way to be more productive as a programmer. I decided to organize in structure valuable ideas and practices I found. Hopefully, they will be useful for you too.
Below is the first part: habits.
- Write. Write documentation, notes, your ideas, and useful tips. Here is the list of most popular tools you can use:
- Markdown files as a basis for something more complicated like, for example Zettelkasten
- Focus on one thing at a time
- Do small tasks immediately
- Sleep enough
- Spaced repetition for efficient learning
- Record and publish or even better, broadcast your coding sessions. I didn’t try it yet, but I can easily imagine how much discipline it could add to my workflow. OBS Studio is a popular and excellent tool for a record such sessions.
- Use procrastination against yourself. Just try to open IDE and write a few lines of code, then a few more. Then you probably will catch yourself on coding for an hour or two. That’s the trick.
- Use data and statistics to analyze your productivity. Be creative in that. Here is an example of a very creative approach to do that.
- Create more than consume
- Dive deeper into the problem
- Automate repetitive tasks
Everybody is welcome to get me your feedback and extend the list.